Pela - Anytown Graffiti in Stores Now

Home
Music
  Photos

Friday, September 18, 2009

Thank you, and good night…..

It is with great sadness that we write you today. Pela’s collective journey has come to an end.

Over the past 2 years we’ve faced tremendous obstacles.  We recorded an album twice, had a falling out/legal battle with our old label, fired 2 managers, had a big record deal fall through, and Billy had a hand injury followed by a foot injury.

We’ve worked tirelessly to get our music out of ourselves and into your ears.  We worked endlessly to make the music and our live show the best we could.  At the end of the day we had to start dealing with some realizations.

We will never be able to thank you enough for your support. For those of you that drove and flew hours just to see a show, we thank you. For those of you who wrote us and gave us the opportunity to get to know you, we thank you. For those of you who told us to keep soldiering on, we thank you. Words can’t really describe how we’re feeling about this difficult decision, but we want you to know that it’s the healthiest decision we could make.

Your lovely faces are etched into our memories.  Looking at the Crowd Project videos says it all.

Please keep in touch, we’ll promise to do the same.

xoxo- Nate, Billy, Tom, and Eric

posted by eric at 2:26 pm

110 Comments »

1. Love you guys..

Comment by Brendon (Spaceman) — September 18, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

2. […] Click here to read Pela’s letter. […]

Pingback by PELA « Maryanne Ventrice Photography Blog — September 18, 2009 @ 3:22 pm

3. As sad as I am, I am honored to have been a fan when you guys were out there making absolutely amazing music, and it was an honor to be able to interview Billy when I had the chance as well. Good luck with everything guys, and from the bottom of my soul, Thank you.

Comment by Jim — September 18, 2009 @ 3:23 pm

4. Damn…

I first time I heard you guys was on Lunaticradio and I was instantly hooked.

All the releases have been classics for me and once I did a “Pela” special on my radio show, requests went through the roof.

This fan will definately not forget what you guys have done.

Good luck with whatever is ahead in the future.

JB

Comment by JB (Joe Brown) — September 18, 2009 @ 3:37 pm

5. so so so sad, but happy I got to meet you all and enjoy some wonderful music!

Comment by Danger — September 18, 2009 @ 4:03 pm

6. You guys were by far my favorite band in many years. This is devastating news.

What’s going to happen to the music you guys finished recording this year? I hope it sees the light of day – it’s some of the best stuff I’ve ever heard from any band.

Comment by Tim — September 18, 2009 @ 4:06 pm

7. Noooooooo…..!!!
    I was so much hoping for another album and some shows in Germany! This is really quite shocking news….I wish you all the best with your future projects and hope to hear from all of you again!

Good night & Good Luck,
    another JB

Comment by Jan — September 18, 2009 @ 4:45 pm

8. Noooooo!!!!!! I hope you all the best of luck and still think you’re one of the best bands in the world right now. Really, my heart is broken.

Comment by Joshua K — September 18, 2009 @ 4:54 pm

9. I feel as though a knife just went through my heart. All of you were my extra sons. You are all very very talented. Your music was sensational. My heart goes out to each of you.
    America has lost not only a wonderful band, but great music as well. I wish you all nothing but the very best. Love you all! Billy please stay healthy! Keep in touch!

Comment by Aunt Wendy — September 18, 2009 @ 5:08 pm

10. love you guys. xoxox.

Comment by gina — September 18, 2009 @ 6:15 pm

11. This is heartbreaking news. I found you a little over 2 years ago and you quickly became one of my favorite bands. Last year I saw you in concert and I still talk about the event with the same high level of enthusiasms, as though I just left the show. You’ll be missed. I’m sorry you didn’t get to see your last album come to light. Good luck with whatever you find yourself doing in the future.

Comment by angela — September 18, 2009 @ 6:19 pm

12. Super sad folks! I really liked what you were doing music wise. Glad we have at least what you’d already done. Saaaaaaad!!!!!

Comment by Sofia — September 18, 2009 @ 6:55 pm

13. I’m sorry to hear this. You graced my day with a rift that floated on breeze that went through my hair, held my hopes up when they fell down. The music will always be in you and with all of us when we replay what you’ve already so generously shared.

Comment by Arlene — September 18, 2009 @ 6:58 pm

14. I am heartbroken! Your music has been with me for many windows-rolled-down, late-night drives. You make awesome, inspiring, beautiful music. Best of luck with your future projects.

Comment by Lindsay B. — September 18, 2009 @ 7:02 pm

15. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is horrible news for the fans. If it is the right decision for you guys we’ll understand but we will miss you very much. Seeing you guys at Sasquatch was still one of the best concert experiences I have had. Best of luck in the future to all of you.

Comment by Eric K — September 18, 2009 @ 7:04 pm

16. So sorry to hear this news. Good luck to you guys in all your future endeavors. Hopefully it will include more music.

Comment by Julie — September 18, 2009 @ 7:13 pm

17. i am soooo sorry! i really LOVE your music. I hope that perhaps someday your roads will bring you back together again… and we can hear your beautiful music once more…good luck with your futures, will be missed :-(

Comment by Lisa Zefkeles — September 18, 2009 @ 7:56 pm

18. What a heartbreak – Not only for us but for you all as well. I’m lucky to say that I was able to catch every Seattle show! From the BBQ to Cap Hill – Your music, guys will remain with me and all of the great times I had with those very luck people in the crowd who saw what I would say is one of the best real rock bands to come around in some time….”And yeah, there’s an under tow but it ain’t got me”

Comment by Luis Gonzalez-Seattle — September 18, 2009 @ 8:29 pm

19. Absolutely floored… I have been checking the website every day for an announcement about “Rise Ye Sunken Ships” release date, but this was the last thing I expected. As others have mentioned, hopefully it will find a release somehow in the future. Will never forget your show in Cincy a few years ago. Wish you the best.

Comment by Michael Schissler — September 18, 2009 @ 8:57 pm

20. Oh NO!!! I am so disappointed to hear this. We loved you guys at Sasquatch 2008. I wish you the best, but also hope that you’ll be able to come together again in the future to make more music and put on energetic shows!

Comment by Jen C - Seattle — September 18, 2009 @ 9:43 pm

21. All I can say is DAMN….. You guys have light a fire under my butt the last few times I have seen you and I have been looking forward to your new… now lost album :( Billy I remember taking a picture with you at Schubas in Chicago. You ALL have given sex to my ears for the last two years and will miss those moments. Long Live Pela :(

Love you guys!!!!!!!

Comment by Josh — September 18, 2009 @ 10:40 pm

22. I’m speechless. Best of luck in the next chapter guys. I’ll be listening to American Graffiti for as long as long as my ears work. Then I’ll be replaying it in my mind for as long as that works.

Also, if I send you $15 can I get a copy of Rise Ye Sinking Ships?

Comment by Mark — September 18, 2009 @ 10:45 pm

23. Oh no! I am so sad to hear this. Living far away from good music culture right now, and your music was always such a welcome gift to pull me up out of the weeds. Best of luck to you all, and hope to hear something again soon.

Comment by AL — September 18, 2009 @ 11:15 pm

24. Thanks for the memories and the graffiti. You will be missed.

Comment by Nick — September 19, 2009 @ 1:41 am

25. The music scene won’t be the same without you.

I will never forget your performance at The KEXP BBQ or your show at the Tractor. Some of the most energetic, exciting shows I’ve ever been to.

Best of luck to you all. Thanks for the graffiti.

Comment by Katie — September 19, 2009 @ 7:07 am

26. Even though you have split, put the finished album online in some form. People will listen to it. Word will spread.

Look at what happened to WILCO. They were dropped by their label. The album leaked. Word spread. 50 labels in a bidding war.
    I had a bootleg copy of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot for well over a year before it was actually released, and I still bought a copy when it came out. It was a great record. Why wouldn’t I buy the actual album? It ended up selling more copies than anything they previously released.

Even if you never want to get back together, at least put the finished music out there, and see what happens. I know so many people who would love to hear it.

Comment by KC — September 19, 2009 @ 9:09 am

27. So heartbreaking to hear this sad news.It is overwhelming. You’ve always been my favorite band I’ve ever known.. I’m looking for another album since I heard graffiti in the spring 2007. It is a regret for me not even have a chance to see your live performance. I’ve seen your live videos for endless times though.

Your songs, and those beautiful lyrics are all become a part of me. I was touched beyond words by those songs, and you pela guys. That was what rock music I told myself.

Thank you for bring me the precious memories.
    Good luck to all of you. Take care.

Comment by grifter — September 19, 2009 @ 11:48 am

28. Your concert at CHBP this year was the most amazing show I’ve ever been to. Thanks for the memories and the truly classic music.

Comment by Helen — September 19, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

29. Hey, thanks for being there through the tough years. I really loved what you did while you do it. Life happens in “stages” right – that was then, this is now. Thanks. Truly.

Comment by home-burned ep's — September 19, 2009 @ 5:33 pm

30. sometimes the toughest thing to do is the best thing to do…the bravest thing to do. though i never had a chance to see you guys live, the impact of all your tireless creative energy will stay with me for a very long time.
    best to each of you as your journeys continue.
    aloha!

Comment by laura — September 19, 2009 @ 6:14 pm

31. I am simply heart broken. I would have never thought Pela could come to an end. I want to thank you for releasing ‘American Graffiti.’ It truely is one of my favorite, most cherished albums I own. Good luck to you all!
    Love,
    Sergio

Comment by Sergio — September 19, 2009 @ 7:32 pm

32. I just started listening to you guys. Bad, bad news. good luck in your endeavors. i look forward to getting to know you guys through your records, unfortunately in retrospect.

Comment by Ross — September 19, 2009 @ 8:47 pm

33. I get goosebumps when I think about your show at KEXPs John in the Morning at Night a few months back. The other bands were alright that night, but then you guys came on and stole the stage, the show, and my heart. Wherever you guys end up, godspeed.

Comment by Gray — September 20, 2009 @ 12:47 am

34. This is very sad. I’m so sorry. Y’all faced such adversity but I am so happy to have seen you perform and celebrate your music. Please continue to try to release Rise Ye Sunken Ships. You’ve inspired me so much. Thank you for the memories. Wishing you and yours the very best.

Comment by Jeffrey — September 20, 2009 @ 3:55 pm

35. I’ve been following you guys very closely since I first heard your All In Time EP at a small music store in Newark, Delaware. Since then, every update of new music and close shows was a big event for me. I’m sorry that I won’t have the opportunity to hear the new album in its entirety, but i’m thankful for the amazing music you’ve already given the world. Not many bands have made music that can truly inspire at a time when things seem bleak, but you all have managed to do it. I truly wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavours, and if you ever decide to join back up, I’ll be waiting on the east coast. :-)

Comment by Jason — September 20, 2009 @ 7:09 pm

36. So many pivotal moments in my life have pela as the soundtrack…my favorite pela memory would have to be your impromptu “bars in the rain” at a Boston show, per the request of my husband- to which Billy responded “how do you even know that song?”…you are a talented group- we’ll make sure our kids listen to you so that your music will live on- much love lads…

Comment by marcie — September 20, 2009 @ 8:22 pm

37. Best of luck to you all! Thanks so much for the wonderful music you gave us! We were really looking forward to seeing you guys again. Perhaps a reunion show in Seattle someday?

Comment by brian — September 21, 2009 @ 10:33 am

38. to the lads: this is some bad news for the music world! and bad news for my ears. pela will be missed, for sure, but please keep making music. its good for the soul. thanks for all the fun! and good luck in the future. xo-steph

Comment by sc — September 21, 2009 @ 10:37 am

39. Very sad news for music lovers everywhere. Pela is truly unique in a time of very non-unique music. I wish you all the best of luck, and I thank you for the entertaining and inspiring shows over the years!

Comment by chris — September 21, 2009 @ 11:48 am

40. Wow, devastating news. I wish you guys all the best of luck and health in the future. I’m just one in a very long line of people who you lads have touched with your music. I’ll never really be able to properly convey it, but thank you so much for your music, you have no idea how much it means to me/us. Best of luck, you’ll be missed more than you know.

Comment by Brian — September 21, 2009 @ 12:44 pm

41. So sorry to hear the news guys. Best of luck with whatever path the future holds for each of you. I’ll always remember the night you headlined our SXSW pre-party and we made it through the pouring rain together. You’re always welcome to come play some ping pong when you’re in Dallas.

Comment by Shelby Miller — September 21, 2009 @ 4:26 pm

42. This is the worst thing that has ever happened in the history of the world. Maybe. I don’t know, but I do feel like jumping out of the window right now. I suppose I can understand the reasons behind this bad news, but that doesn’t lessen the blow. I’m sure it’s just as rough or worse for you guys. Hopefully there’s a tiny shred of hope that the album will come out in some form in the near future. Something. I’ll keep an ear out for any projects from you guys. It’s been awesome. Thanks for the music you made.

Comment by Daman — September 21, 2009 @ 5:01 pm

43. Noooooo! Now I feel terrible I missed the last show. You guys made amazing music, gained great fans, and showed some real passion during your sets. Definitely my favorite group and I hope at the very least you release some new songs, or at the very least…reunite when its time.

Comment by Eric — September 21, 2009 @ 8:42 pm

44. i’m listening to your acoustic set at kexp before you played at neumos in seattle last may.

it feels like i just lost my best friends.

i think i speak for many of us when i say thank you for the profound and heart felt music.
    it echoed an honesty that so many of us heard in our souls and it helped us get through the days.

you and your music will be missed.
    best of luck in everything the future brings.
    billy, stop beating yourself up lol
    maybe someday we’ll get to hear that infamous new album?
    much luv and thank you again

Comment by colin — September 22, 2009 @ 12:34 pm

45. I just discovered you guys a few months ago and came to your website to see when your next live show was. So sad to hear the news! Your music is really great. Thank you for the awesome tunes. I sincerely hope that great things lie ahead in the future for you guys.

Comment by Lisa — September 23, 2009 @ 1:40 am

46. Aw, man! You guys have got to do what you’ve got to do, but we will REALLY miss you!

Comment by Ian — September 23, 2009 @ 2:00 am

47. Very sad news, but I wish you all the best. You guys put on some great shows. I always felt lucky to be in the crowd. Take care!

Comment by Julie — September 23, 2009 @ 9:12 am

48. arrrgh!

Terrible news. But I believe fans of your great music understand such decisions.

I join with others in hoping for a release, any kind of release, for Rise Ye Sinking Ships.

American Graffiti will stay with me.

Comment by Matt F — September 23, 2009 @ 1:30 pm

49. I just wanted to add one thing to my original comment…If any of you go on to other bands, please let us know. I would love to support any of the bands any of you go to beyond Pela.

Comment by Jason — September 23, 2009 @ 10:25 pm

50. I will never forget your show at Spaceland in LA. It is one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to. You guys deserve nothing but good things and hopefully we can all share in them in the near future. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Your music will forever inspire me.

Comment by Robert — September 25, 2009 @ 5:23 pm

51. We never met, but getting to split time between Seattle and New York for the last few years, I count myself lucky to have seen so many of your shows – the wildest, most memorable three years of my life, you provided the soundtrack.

I was gone for 10 days out camping and came back to your announcement. The last time I had as sad of a message waiting for me after a camping trip, it was that my dog had died. This doesn’t suck quite as bad, but it still sucks the same.

Good luck, guys. Can’t wait to hear what each of you come up with next.

Comment by Jake — September 26, 2009 @ 12:16 am

52. i just discovered you guys through KEXP podcasts and had to find out if you were touring, getting the new record out, etc. how bitter-sweet to find and explore new music i love, but to somehow lose it at the same time. best of luck to you all

Comment by mike — September 26, 2009 @ 11:25 pm

53. Never got to see one of your shows (Oklahoma isn’t the music metropolis of the world), but I did see some of the videos. The enthusiasm displayed was amazing, something not seen in a long, long time.
    All I can say is, good bye, and good luck.

Comment by Jon — September 27, 2009 @ 8:32 pm

54. saw you guys at johnny beach’s birthday party at music hall earlier this summer (maybe it was actually spring) and immediately wished i’d have heard you guys sooner. one of the best sets i’ve seen in the last few years for sure. good luck with whatever y’all end up doing.

Comment by tom — September 28, 2009 @ 4:23 am

55. Hey! Its Ray. I’m extremely sad to hear this. I will always be a fan! Guess I’ll never get to hear “No Doves Just Pigeons” again! But from the bottom of my heart, thank you for all the music and memories. Well I do hope the best for you guys. Take care!

Comment by RAY — September 30, 2009 @ 6:44 pm

56. I never got the chance to see you guys live, but would have driven hours to do so. I’m so sorry that your journey has ended for now, but I hope this isn’t the last we will hear from you all. Still hoping to drive/fly hours to see you perform!! Anytown Graffiti NEVER leaves my “must have’s”. Best of luck to you all! Thank you for the wonderful music that you have already given us.

Comment by Melanie — October 1, 2009 @ 10:26 pm

57. I had the privilege to see you a couple of times in Seattle, you guys put on such a good show, and I will continue to enjoy Anytown Graffiti in my cd collection, best wishes to you all.

Comment by Diane — October 2, 2009 @ 1:57 pm

58. We will never forget your show at the Mural Ampitheater- Pela rocking it out in the sun. The band holding Billy up to thunderous applause. Thank you for your music. Seattle will miss you!

Comment by Becca and Fitz — October 4, 2009 @ 1:43 pm

59. Recently found Anytown Graffiti on Spotify and it has become one of my favorite albums ever. So I went on to find your website…and then come upon this. Makes me sad, would have loved to see you guys live!

Good luck to you anyways and thanks for the music!

Comment by Juha — October 5, 2009 @ 4:40 am

60. Oh no! You guys were quickly becoming one of my favorite bands and I was really looking forward to the new album. ‘Sorry to hear about all of the BS you guys have been dealing with on the backend but hopefully it helps to know that your music moved a lot of people. I was consistently blown away by you guys so your efforts at getting the music out to us was certainly appreciated.

Comment by Cliff — October 5, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

61. Bummed. Really enjoyed Pela, and the work you guys did. Here is to hoping there is another project in the future. Best.

Comment by Myles — October 6, 2009 @ 10:01 am

62. Thanks for singing me through some tough times (and some really good ones, too). I actually cried when I read that you all split. Wish you all the best in whatever the future holds.

Comment by Mikell — October 6, 2009 @ 4:34 pm

63. Saw you guys at Mercury Lounge (show that closed with a T Petty cover) earlier this year, had a great time. Love Anytown Graffiti, listen to hit almost every day (usually while singing along in my car). Was waiting for new album with much anticipation. Sad to see you go. Wish you the best for your future plans and will keep eye and ear out for new projects.

Comment by Jen — October 7, 2009 @ 2:37 am

64. AH NO! I just bought the new EP on itunes this morning and was so excited for the new music, then I see this sad news. Best of luck to you guys in whatever you do – Anytown Graffiti is still one of my favorite albums to listen to – and your show at the Bowery in NY was awesome. Thanks for making the music you did!! GOOD LUCK!

Comment by Kerry W — October 7, 2009 @ 8:30 am

65. Very sad news. I will remember the Bowery Ballroom and Mercury Lounge shows as two of the most energetic, powerful shows I’ve ever seen. After listening to the 4-song KEXP podcast I was really excited for the new album… hope to hear those songs in their finished form someday soon.

Comment by Bryan — October 12, 2009 @ 7:47 am

66. Best wishes for all your future plans!

Comment by Eugenia — October 13, 2009 @ 2:48 am

67. ooooo… Thank you for some of the greatest live shows I have ever seen, more than once! You are the only band that I hopped on a train to go see just a day after already basking in the wonderfulness that was the Pelas. Amazing. All of you are amazing. I’m gonna miss ‘ya. Best of luck in all your new adventures!

Comment by Linnet — October 16, 2009 @ 1:26 am

68. Such unfortunate news! I just hit play on your amazing Anytown Graffiti album, which I haven’t listened to in some time. Hearing these tunes again drove me to check your website for something new. So sad to hear that I will not have the luck to see you live. sounds like i missed out on something special.

best wishes to you all, thanks for the good tunes!

Comment by tp — October 30, 2009 @ 7:05 pm

69. Really too bad you won’t be playing together anymore, such great energy.

Regardless, I will still be listening to your music when I’m a toothless old man.

Thank you PELA! All the best.

Comment by Adam, VanCity — November 3, 2009 @ 4:52 pm

70. So sad to hear of this…I echo the sentiments expressed here already…I am so glad I drove over to see the KEXP show….surpassed my already sky high expectations, one of the most joyous shows of many I’ve seen in my life.

Totally agree with many others: would pay $$$ to get a copy of Rise ye…., also love the idea of Wilco with YHF, totally agree that there is the same paralell of potential here. Find a way to release it!

Wish you all the best…totally bummed, as I percieved both your career and music to be on a steep trajectory upwards.

Thanks for the music and memories.

Comment by Matt S. — November 11, 2009 @ 7:28 pm

71. Unfortunately I never got to see you guys live, but listened to your music religiously. I’ve been stalking your blog for the past year hoping for new stuff to be released. Sad to see you guys go, but do what you gotta do and good luck to whatever comes next. Peace.

Comment by Deric M. — December 1, 2009 @ 5:08 pm

72. I just found this…

Devastated.

But I think back to a one of the 2007 covers…

darling
    i can stay awake all night
    but i would make mistakes, alright
    and the body asks so much

sweet thing
    i give you what i reach
    taken what i had to teach
    and re-rendered it with such
    with such
    with such

o, it don’t rain anymore
    i go outdoors
    where it’s fun to be

Good luck and I hope new projects bear the creative fruit left unpicked.

Comment by joel jaeggli — December 9, 2009 @ 2:58 pm

73. This is just too bad. Anytown Graffiti is one of the best albums I’ve heard top to bottom in a long long time. Good luck in all your future endeavors!

Comment by James Kudrna — December 12, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

74. Almost three months later and I’m STILL bummed out about this. Hope all is going smoothly and that the holidays treat you all well.

Comment by Anna — December 12, 2009 @ 11:30 pm

75. Crushed – Tom – thanks for chatting at the Cats Cradle. I was so looking forward to a new album. But Hey! – Anytown Graffiti is a hell of a legacy to leave us.

Comment by Roger — December 13, 2009 @ 10:35 pm

76. Thank you guys for the 2 excellent shows at Schubas in 2008. Was looking forward to your next album and tour, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Wish you guys happiness and all the best in your future endeavors.

Comment by Matt — December 19, 2009 @ 1:02 am

77. Man, I am kicking myself for missing your last Seattle shows. We had a new baby, and couldn’t swing leaving her to go. We first fell in love with you guys at the KEXP BBQ in 2006.

May your futures be full of love, joy and success!

A fan always,
    Much love,
    Holli

Comment by Holli — December 27, 2009 @ 1:37 pm

78. That’s sad news!!!! I was hoping to see you guys one day in Portugal, and now… sad…sad!!! But thank’s for the good music…

Comment by Vitor Hugo — December 28, 2009 @ 11:26 am

79. I am so sad. I’ve been to hundreds of shows in my day, including 6 years going to the Coachella music festival, and I have NEVER sweated my ass off so much from dancing as I did at your show in Seattle for KEXP. I had a permanent fucking smile on my face during that show. I pray to God you guys get back together someday. You definitely have something special. I will continue spreading the word about you guys and fucking rocking out to your albums. Lots and lots of love

Comment by Ashley — January 13, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

80. Sadness… I just discovered you last week via Pandora, and had to look you guys up. You’re incredibly talented, and I wish you the best of luck.

Comment by Brandon — January 15, 2010 @ 2:15 am

81. You guys have a permanent place in the rock n roll hall of fame in my heart

Love,
    Ron Mexico

Comment by Ron Mexico — January 21, 2010 @ 4:43 pm

82. I love my pela shirt that I ordered after you guys announced you were breaking up. Any word on the mysteriously unreleased album that never was? I need more, you guys music was beautiful, is beautiful, will always be beautiful. Come back to us PELA! Much love, hope you all are well.

Comment by Kevin Dietrich — February 16, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

83. I love my pela shirt that I ordered after you guys announced you were breaking up. Any word on the mysteriously unreleased album that never was? I need more, you guys music was beautiful, is beautiful, will always be beautiful. Come back to us PELA! Much love, hope you all are well…

Comment by Kevin Dietrich — February 16, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

84. this sucks, I only just found you guys. Wish you guys could of made it to Australia.

I’ll be spreading your music and love to all my friends.

Interestingly I found your music by using Youtube disco, they listed you as similar to the National. It was a live performance of Cavalry that made me search you out, what a great track.

Comment by Drew — February 21, 2010 @ 8:51 am

85. Literally just listened to Anytown Graffiti last nigth with my wife, and we both agreed (again) that you guys put out the album of the decade…that’s right, THE DECADE!

We were discussing how badly we were yearning for more….and now this. I completely understand being a musician / small business owner that sometimes the decision to bow out gracefully is the only smart one left.

Truly wish you guys the absolute best of luck and we can not thank you for all that you have given us. Our 9 month old daughter is already a fan having several of your songs on her playtime mix.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Dusty, Christa and Maebry

Comment by Dusty Kraatz — February 25, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

86. I really wish I would have gotten into you guys sooner. I have played Anytown Graffiti more than any other album in my life. It is incredible. I am glad I caught you at the Capitol Hill Block Party. Best of luck to you in the future.

Comment by S-Be — March 17, 2010 @ 10:09 am

87. I am gonna find you unlovely fu@kers, and beat the shite right out of you. Get your broke-foot-and-hand asses right back into the rehearsal space, studio, or tour sled, and get busy. There will be no breaking up, no drama, just more music, more music. I will quit my job, sue your record company, then manage you. That’s after I beat our asses, of course, for messing with my head like this. Call me?

Comment by Mattso Fatso — March 19, 2010 @ 8:07 am

88. Why didn´t you guys came to Sweden before you ended? We were a big bunch of people just in Malmö who wanted to see you guys live. We were also betting that after The Nationals international break through you guys would be the next ones! If you ever rethink, then you have to come to Sweden! Otherwise good luck with creating new music with new people and in new constellations.

Comment by Swedish guy — April 10, 2010 @ 5:54 am

89. We stil miss you!

Comment by Ryan — April 11, 2010 @ 6:22 am

90. On today’s KEXP Morning Show Session, featuring Brian Fallon of the Gaslight Anthem, the DJ, John Richards, said “his friends” Pela are working to release new material and the hope is that it’ll get out there soon. Brian had nothing but complimentary things to say about the band, and specifically cited “Trouble With River Cities” as his favorite song off of ANYTOWN GRAFFITI.

Now, obviously the fact that the new material may see the light of day doesn’t necessarily mean the band will re-form, but, sweet damn, it would be tremendous if these guys could find a way to release RISE YE SUNKEN SHIPS. Then . . . well, you never know. One can always hope.

Comment by TJB — May 12, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

91. this sucks, I only just found you guys. Wish you guys could of made it to Australia.

I’ll be spreading your music and love to all my friends.

Comment by Bruce — May 19, 2010 @ 9:46 am

92. Anyone who wants to know…Pela’s Billy and Eric are now known as Augustines, and will be releasing Rise Ye Sunken Ships in August. AMAZING NEWS

Comment by Jim — June 20, 2010 @ 9:26 pm

93. Oh my goodness, Jim, please tell me you’re not yanking us around here. THAT IS TREMENDOUS NEWS! I swear, even though we’ve gotten great music in recent days from The National and Gaslight Anthem, August can’t come soon enough. Finally, RISE YE SUNKEN SHIPS has risen. Musical Easter is on the horizon. YES!!!!

Comment by TJB — June 28, 2010 @ 10:19 pm

94. Does anyone have a source on the Augustines news? Also, Nate has a solo project called Thieving Irons. His album comes out in August and features guest appearances from Eric and Bryan Devendorf from The National among others. http://www.thievingirons.com/

Comment by Kevin — July 5, 2010 @ 12:50 am

95. If you go to KEXP’s site and search their playlists you can see John in the Morning has been playing some tracks off of Rise…and you can listen to them using the streaming archive as well. Also, the site is up at augustinesmusic.com but its just a picture right now

Comment by Jim — July 6, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

96. Pela was amazing. Anytown Graffiti is in my all-time top 10. But the live shows were even better. That energy must be reincarnated somehow, someway… bring it back guys

Comment by Kampy — July 8, 2010 @ 7:41 pm

97. I’m doing an all Pela hour on my college radio show tomorrow from 2-3 pm EST. I’ll be talking about Pela’s past and their future. You can listen in at kur.kutztown.edu

Comment by Jim — July 11, 2010 @ 8:42 pm

98. Any news on that potential August release date for RISE YE SUNKEN SHIPS? Augustines have set up a MySpace page, but thus far nothing more than the same picture of Billy and Eric featured on their website.

Comment by TJB — July 27, 2010 @ 2:49 pm

99. don’t know if anyone will see this but the augustines are playing in boston in september:

Comment by G — August 22, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

100. When will there be info on this album? Its getting frustrating

Comment by mike — August 23, 2010 @ 3:12 pm

101. Hello Mike. I apologize if it’s getting frustrating. It will all make sense soon. Thank you for writing : )

Comment by Eric — September 13, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

102. Eric, thanks so much for personally responding. Appreciate it, man, and can’t wait to see how this all plays out. To say many of us anxiously await release of your new work would be an understatement. Looking forward to any official news.

Comment by TJB — September 14, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

103. Wonderful video featuring the Augustines (Billy & Eric) and their travels through Texas this past summer.

Can only hope news of the album’s release breaks soon. Very soon.

Comment by TJB — October 14, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

104. http://www.augustinesmusic.com

Comment by John C — October 17, 2010 @ 9:32 pm

105. There is a in-studio performance of Augustines on KEXP’s website (10/18/10)! Glad to see some form of Pela Back!

Comment by Jason — October 30, 2010 @ 9:11 am

106. Recently discovered you guys (thanks pandora), really really bummed you’re not Pela anymore. It’s nice to hear that some of you are still touring and I’ll see you if you come near me. :)

Comment by melissaa — November 6, 2010 @ 12:11 am

107. Found you guys on pandora, thank you pandora and iPhone! I LOVE YOUR MUSIC!!! No words can describe how upset I felt when I found out that you only had a couple of albums and are no longer a band…VERY upsetting! But maybe in the future. But for now the albums you guys did make play over and over again, at my work, at my home and in my car. I just can’t get enough. I want to thank you so much for at least making the albums you did, they will always be great and live forever!

Comment by Brandon — March 8, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

108. Did you guy back yet?

Anytown Graffiti is one of the greatest albuns of the last decade..

Comment by sam — February 9, 2012 @ 8:05 am

109. Check out We Are Augustines

Comment by sandman — February 9, 2012 @ 8:06 am

110. Im a brazilian fan of yours. I love your songs (We are Augustines), so I started to read about the band’s story. I was reading…then here I’m haha. Its a great history, guys. Bless to God cause you two dont gived up after broke the previous band.

Luck! and I’m already anxious for the next album haha

Comment by João Victor Martins Ruyz — March 29, 2012 @ 2:30 am